Vincent Chua received his PhD in Sociology from the University of Toronto in November 2010. His research interests are in social networks and social capital, social support, education, neighbourhoods and ethnic stratification.
SC2101: Methods of Social Research; SC2204: Social Inequalities; SC3205: Social Capital; SC5102: Quantitative Data Analysis.
ARTICLES IN JOURNAL
- Chua, Vincent and Barry Wellman. Forthcoming. “Social Networks in East and Southeast Asia 1: National Characteristics, Institutions, Network Capital and Guanxi.” American Behavioral Scientist.
- Chua, Vincent and Barry Wellman. Forthcoming. “Social Networks in East and Southeast Asia 2: Labor Migration, Opportunity, Social Media, and Well-Being.” American Behavioral Scientist.
- Wang, Helen, Vincent Chua, and Michael Stefanone. Forthcoming. “Social Ties, Communication Channels, and Well Being: A Study of the Networked Lives of College Students in Singapore.” American Behavioral Scientist.
- Chua, Vincent. Forthcoming. “How Do Singaporeans Connect? Ties among Chinese, Malays and Indians” American Behavioral Scientist.
- Chua, Vincent and Irene Y.H. Ng. 2015. “Unequal Returns to Social Capital: The Study of Malays in Singapore Through a Network Lens.” Asian Ethnicity – http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14631369.2015.1004874.
- Chua, Vincent. 2015, “Do Raffles Boys ‘Rule’ and Anglo-Chinese Boys ‘Own’ Singapore? Analysing School-To-Work Correspondences in an Elite Developmental State.” International Studies in Sociology of Education 25(1): 1-19.
- Chua, Vincent. 2014. “Institutional Comparisons of the Perceived Value of Networks in China and the United States.” Comparative Sociology 13(5): 587-617.
- Chua, Vincent. 2014. “The Contingent Value of Unmobilized Social Capital in Getting a Good Job.” Sociological Perspectives 57(1): 124-143.
- Chua, Vincent. 2013. “Contextualizing Networked Individualism: The Interplay of Social Categories, Role Relationships and Tasks.” Current Sociology 61(5): 602-625.
- Chua, Vincent. 2013. “Categorical Sources of Varieties of Network Inequalities.” Social Science Research 42(5): 1236-1253.
- Chua, Vincent. 2012. “Contacts and Contexts.” Social Networks 34(4): 534-538.
- Chua, Vincent. 2011. “Social Networks and Labour Market Outcomes in a Meritocracy.” Social Networks 33(1): 1-11.
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
- Chua, Vincent and Bonnie H. Erickson. Forthcoming. “Social Networks and Associations.” Palgrave Research Handbook of Volunteering and Non-profit Associations.
- Koh, Gillian, Tan, Ern Ser, Chua, Vincent. 2014. “A Study on Social Capital in Singapore (Phase 1): Concepts, Framework and a Proposal.” Singapore: Institute of Policy Studies.
- Chua, Vincent. 2014. “The Network Imperative.” In Johnny Sung (Ed.) Skills Strategies for Inclusive Society. Pp. 103-120. Singapore: Institute of Adult Learning.
- Chua, Vincent and Tan, Teresa. 2014. “Personal Networks: The Intertwining of Ties, Internet and Geography.” In Jon Rokne and Reda Alhajj (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Social Network Analysis and Mining. Springer.
- Chua, Vincent and Tan, Ern Ser. 2014. “Standardized Measures: Happy Life Inventory.” In Alex Michalos (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Quality of Life Research. Springer.
- Chua, Vincent and Tan, Ern Ser. 2012. “National Identity” In George Ritzer (Ed.) Blackwell Encyclopedia of Globalization. Wiley Blackwell.
- Chua, Vincent and Wellman, Barry. 2011. “Ego-centric Networks” In George Barnett (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Social Networking. London: Sage.
Chua Vincent, Madej, Julia, and Wellman, Barry. 2011. “Personal Communities: The World According to Me.” In John Scott & Peter Carrington (Eds.) Sage Handbook of Social Network Analysis. Pp. 101-115. London: Sage.
- 2013 Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, National University of Singapore
- 2008 Edie Yolles Ontario Graduate Scholarship Prize in Sociology (University of Toronto)
- 2007 Daniel Grafton Hill Prize for Best Graduate Student Paper (University of Toronto)